Not Letting Up








I'm shocked we've haven't been evacuated from our apartment yet. The evacuation order starts literally across the street from us. Right now we have 486 fire engines fighting the fire that is buring 8,600 acres. The winds continue to pick up and then die down. As of last night 30,000 of the 90,000 Santa Barbara residents have been evacuated and they are estimating another 23,000 will. I'm going to assume that we will be part of the next group but we're holding strong for now. I think that every friend we have in this town has decided to leave town for the weekend. Let's be honest, we don't have anywhere to go so we're staying here. Last night we stayed up until 1 a.m. because I was certain we were getting the boot. I woke up at 3 a.m. and was literally sweating to death. We had to close all of the windows because of the ash and it had to have been 110 degrees in our little apartment. It was 85 degrees outside at 11 p.m. If you know Santa Barbara then you know that is absolutely crazy! I actually escaped town just for the day to fly up to Sacramento for work. I'm happy that the plane ride went nice and smooth. I didn't anticipate that it would. The air was so crisp and beautiful up there...wish I could have stayed for the weekend. Hope you enjoy the pictures of the worst fire I have ever experienced. This pictures are LITERALLY from a 1/2 mile or so from us - maybe not even that far away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, i am so worried for you two!

Julie said...

That's crazy! If you decide you want to get away from SB, you should give my brother (Jeff) a call. He and his fam still live in Palo Alto. In fact, I think a townhouse of theirs doesn't currently have renters in it. Give me a call if you want their info.
Good luck!