Santa Barbara on Fire







If you follow the news at all then you have probably seen that Santa Barbara is up in flames. It's devastating. The current estimate is near 200 homes burnt to the ground, 13 injuries, and one possibly dead. I've lived in California for years and have seen fires around me many times. I've never seen anything like this. I was driving home from L.A. last night and was driving into Santa Barbara right as the fire started. I was nearly run off the road by the dozens of fire trucks and emergency vehicles. As the evening progressed the winds got faster and winds were blowing the fires from house to house. At one point the winds were 70 miles an hour. Thousands of people were displaced as they faced evacuations, including personal friends. The sound in the air was explosive as cars that were left behind were exploding. Our hospital issued a release that their trauma center was overcrowded and they plead with the community to not come to the Emergency Room unless you were injured by the fires. The fire is still burning but winds have died down considerably. Several of my business acquaintances have lost their homes and a few friends also. I took a picture from our apartment which is, by the way, 15 miles from the fire. It's the only un-professional picture I am posting but it will show you how large the fire is - seeing as though I am (thankfully) on the opposite side of the city.

6 comments:

Courtni said...

Good grief -- glad you aren't near the fires. Hope they get them out soon...fire is such a powerful destroyer!

Anonymous said...

as much as i hate how much fires destroy, the picutes are cool looking! did you take those ones becuase they are so much better then the ones mike sent me.

Mandy said...

Oh my gosh! Be safe guys. Can you breathe okay?

Daisie said...

Wow! That is so sad! I am so glad your safe!!

The Shabby Princess said...

Glad you're OK. Gosh, I do not miss the California wildfires! My parents were evacuated because there was a fire on thier hill in San Luis! Crazy!

Parkside View said...

Thank you for keeping us informed. I've been concerned about how you've been affected by the fires. Hopefully the winds will not bring them to your home.
Stay safe, 'cause I love ya!