A Life Lost

Mike doesn't like it when I share sad stories but I think there is something to learn from everyone one of them. I wanted to share the story of a young women that was killed tragically in a drunk-driving accident.

This morning my housekeeper, Debbie, was over here. We were talking about our holiday plans and she mentioned that she goes to Mexico every year. She has done this with her husband for the last 5 years. They travel over the holidays as an escape because in January 2007 her daughter was killed on impact by a drunk driver. Her daughter, Lisa, had just finished a tour of duty and was back in Colorado. They were so grateful to have her home. On January 20, 2007, Debbie received a knock on her door at 6 a.m. She opened the door to a police officer delivering the news. Debbie said that the year Lisa died was the last good holiday they had.

Her story reminded me of how grateful I am that we will be together again and through all eternity someday. It also served as a reminder to not take life for granted. Debbie's pain is still immense every day of her life and I am heartbroken that her daughter's life was lost to a careless individual that in that in the moment got in their car had a complete disregard for life.

Here is the blog that they have set up in Lisa's honor: www.lisaswisher.com

No comments: